Friday, January 6, 2017

A New Bible Reading Plan


I have attempted several times to read the entire Bible, but eventually lost momentum around Leviticus or got overwhelmed with the amount of reading. I have tried Professor Grant Horner's plan, which I really liked, but after awhile, I found it challenging to complete the daily readings. 

Yesterday, a friend introduced me to Tim Challies favorite Bible reading plan. You can read more about it at the blog, but my favorite feature is that it is a 5 day reading plan, so it allows 2 days for catching up. This plan seems very doable and I would encourage you to give it a try!

I just started yesterday, so I plan to do catch up reading this weekend. This morning, I read Genesis 3-5 and Mark 2. I enjoyed seeing the perfect humanity of Christ in Mark 2, especially his answer to the Pharisees in vv 23-28  regarding the Sabbath. The Pharisees were the popular party. They were extremely accurate and minute concerning the law of Moses. When they questioned Messiah about the sabbath, He responded, "Have ye never read what David did..?" Of course, they had read this, but because of their pride and spiritual blindness, they missed the Lord. Christ Himself even said of them, You study the Scriptures diligently because you think that in them you have eternal life. These are the very Scriptures that testify about me, As we read the Bible, let us read with open hearts, minds and spirits, for the Bible is like no other book and must be read not only with our eyes and minds but with openness of heart and spirit. 



Praise Him!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this resource. I have never read the Bible in a year. Maybe one day.

    I agree that our heart and spirit's position is important when taking in the Word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. Maybe this year will be the year for me?! The most important thing is to get in it. I have started plans and then got to a certain book and just stopped at that book and just stopped there to enjoy that book without completing the remaining readings.

      Delete